Personal Injury Lawsuits are becoming increasingly common. This does not decrease the amount of suffering or confusion that arises when you are part of an accident or medical negligence that amounts to personal injury. It is natural to think of protecting your rights. It is normal to worry about winning your claims in such cases. Not all personal injury cases are alike in nature. The chances of winning a personal injury lawsuit may depend on various factors. But it mainly depends a lot on your attorney. So, it is advised that you hire an experienced and skilled lawyer for your case. Have you or your loved ones suffered recently from a personal injury due to an accident? Are you trying to figure out what steps you should take next? Are you worried about the chances of winning your claims? Look no further, we will answer all your questions.
Table of Contents
Understanding Personal Injury Lawsuits
You can file Personal Injury Lawsuits against people for accidents, where someone else is responsible for the accident, or due to medical negligence. In either case, your lawyer will try to get you fair compensation from the insurance companies for your loss. The insurance company of the accused will pay the claims. Your case is represented against insurance companies and hospital lawyers. In most cases, the matter is dealt with by informal settlement. But when a dispute occurs, legal proceedings are taken into account.
Success Rates in Personal Injury Lawsuits
There are mainly three ways to win a personal injury lawsuit. The chances of winning a personal injury lawsuit differ to a great extent with each type of approach.
The most common way to win a personal injury lawsuit is by settlement. This occurs when the parties involved mutually resolve the conflict. In these cases, the victim receives compensation from insurance companies or the party at fault. About 70% of all personal injury cases end up in informal settlements. The criteria for winning them is subjective, so hiring a lawyer is advised for maximum deserved compensation.
The injured win about 65% of the cases when the case goes under trial. But the chances of winning a personal injury lawsuit vary on the nature of the case, evidence, and the skill of the lawyer.
Less than 1% of the cases are won by judgement without a trial. The judge directly passes the judgement from the undisputed facts of the case.
Real-Life Examples of Personal Injury Lawsuit Outcomes
Some famous real-life examples of settlements in a personal injury lawsuit are: –
- Harris vs McGraw case of 2011 for a claim of $7M was settled out-of-court in which Harris was unemployed for a severe infection from the dog bite of the pet of the McGraw’s.
- Liebeck vs McDonald’s case of 1992 was settled for $2.7M in favour of Liebeck and led to a caution “HOT” on the coffee sold by McDonald’s, which is present to date.
- Grimshaw vs Ford case of 1981 combined all cases of injury against the Ford Pinto and an amount of $127.8M was awarded by the jury to the victims and the families of the deceased.
Tips for Maximizing Your Chances of Winning a Personal Injury Lawsuit
A few steps that you can take to maximize your chance of winning are: –
- Hire an experienced and skilled lawyer.
- Gathering evidence to prove your claim.
- Avoiding the traps of insurance firms.
- Seeking medical care after the injury.
- Do not record statements without consulting a lawyer first.
- Act as quickly as possible because personal injury cases come with a deadline.
Factor That Influence the Outcome of Personal Injury Lawsuits
The most important factor that affects the chances of winning a personal injury lawsuit is the skill and experience of your attorney. A skilled lawyer will gather the necessary evidence and guide you so that you do not fall into the traps of insurance firms. They will also make sure that you receive the maximum compensation that you are entitled to. Also, the number of parties involved in the incident plays a major role. These cases come to a settlement with the injured receiving compensation. It is more likely to get a fair amount from a higher number of accused than a single person.
Evaluating the Strength of a Personal Injury Case
Before you take any steps, it is important to consult a lawyer about your case. Usually, they offer a free case evaluation to let you know about your options and the best possible actions for your case. Hiring a lawyer greatly increases the chances of winning a personal injury lawsuit. The insurance firms take your claims more seriously in that case. The faster you act the more is the strength of your case.
The Role of Evidence in Personal Injury Lawsuits
Evidence plays a great role in the chances of winning a personal injury lawsuit. It is very vital for negotiation purposes to prove the extent of harm to support your claim. It is advisable that you hire a skilled lawyer to represent your case. They would gather the evidence that will make your case stronger, and also make sure your rights are always protected. Your medical records, the testimony of the witnesses, and expert opinions in certain critical cases act as key evidence that strengthens your case.
Common Challenges in Personal Injury Lawsuits
Some of the most common challenges faced by attorneys in personal injury lawsuits are as follows: –
- Proving liability – the major challenge of a lawyer in personal injury cases is to prove that the accused violated laws.
- Paperwork – insurance firms usually demand detailed paperwork to investigate the claims.
- Injury documentation – it is very vital to record your injuries, where they happened, and what led to them.
- Settlement offers – insurance firms often offer out-of-court settlements to evade court proceedings which may lead them into paying more funds as compensation.
- Motion to dismiss – one of the major challenges is the motion to dismiss the case due to lack of evidence for the case to proceed, it can be tricky as the court has complete discretion in that case.
It’s very clear that personal injury cases are mostly common and most of the settlements end outside the court in a smooth procedure. Talking about personal injury lawsuits, In some cases, the case takes critical turns. Such cases need help from experienced and skilled attorneys so that the victims can win their claim for fair compensation. You must know, without help from an expert lawyer specializing in personal injuries it would be impossible to gather proper evidence to win a case. Hiring a good attorney surely increases your chances of winning a personal injury lawsuit. Act quickly and take the necessary measures to make sure you get what you deserve for your loss.