A dog may bite a person for several reasons. It may be a way to protect its territory. It may be feeling threatened by the person. The dog may also have snapped out of its mind and bit the person. In some cases, the dog might be vicious from the start.
Sometimes dogs are provoked by people just for their fun. Disturbing a dog while eating or sleeping might trigger it to bite someone. It is also best to keep a safe distance from dogs, be it a familiar pet or a stray dog.
You must seek immediate medical assistance in case of a dog bite. You can also hire Dog Bite Lawyers to cover your losses.
Table of Contents
Why Hiring a Dog Bite Lawyer Matters?
The dog owner or the person who handled the dog during the accident is generally held liable. If a dog owner is a minor, their parents are liable for injuries. If a landlord knows the tenant owns a dangerous dog, then they are responsible for not preventing the predictable hazards.
Usually, people do not file lawsuits against dog bites, as they are mainly from the pets of friends or family. The insurance companies have to bear the costs on behalf of the dog owner. It depends on where the incident occurred and which insurance company has to pay the bills.
If the incident occurs on the owner’s property, the homeowner’s insurance pays the claims. If it appears in the owner’s car, the car insurance has to pay the claims. Hiring a Dog Bite Lawyer helps smooth legal proceedings and ensures proper compensation for the victim.
Role of a Dog Bite Lawyer in Building Your Case
Due to prior acquaintance with the owners, dog bite cases are solved with out-of-court settlements. The possibilities are not filed against the owners to avoid distress. In that case, the owner has to take complete liability and pay for the victim’s claims independently.
If legal steps are taken, the defense and the insurance companies usually try to prove that the victim was trespassing on the owner’s property or provoking the dog somehow. In case of infringing, the victim’s claims are denied and considerably reduced for initiating the pets.
Hiring a Dog Bite Lawyer assists the victims in proving that they were not at fault during the incident. It also helps get a suitable amount of claim, which was only possible with legal assistance.
How a Dog Bite Lawyer Can Maximize Your Compensation?
A personal injury attorney can also serve the purpose in these cases, but it would be beneficial to have a specialized and experienced Dog Bite Lawyer to represent your case.
A Dog Bite Lawyer can maximize your compensation in many ways: –
- Prove the liability of the owner in the incident
- Investigating the incident to find evidence to support your case
- Filing insurance claims on behalf of victims
- Negotiating with insurance companies to ensure the maximum possible amount is compensated to the victim
- Representing your case in the trial if necessary
- Proving that your condition due to the dog bite is not associated with your previous medical records
- Determining the nature of the injury to file a proper claim amount
If you face troubles with compensation or are falsely alleged to cause the incident, the lawyer will have your back and ensure your rights are protected.
How to Support Your Dog Bite Lawyer During the Legal Process?
Generally, dog bite cases proceed smoothly, and the liable parties compensate the victim. You can hire a Dog Bite Lawyer to avoid problems and even help the case in many ways: –
- Exchange contact details with the owner and at least one witness
- Call the animal control of the State to report the incident
- Get instant medical care for the injuries
- Document the losses and medical bills
- Do not record a statement for the insurance companies before consulting your lawyer
- Do not accept settlements without consulting your lawyer
- File the case as soon as possible because these cases have a 2-year deadline in most states
There is free consultation for these cases, so you must take legal advice before deciding. In most cases, Dog Bite Lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. So, you don’t need to pay them if you don’t win the case.
Potential Consequences of Not Hiring a Lawyer
Taking the proper steps is vital to get your claims from insurance companies. You may choose not to hire a Dog Bite Lawyer, but you must be aware of the consequences: –
- Only about 1% of dog bite victims get compensation for their loss.
- Without a lawyer, most cases end with the victim getting only 15 to 20% of their claims.
- In case of loss of income, the court needs proof from the victim’s employer; a lawyer ensures that only the necessary information is provided without personal details.
- In the case of medical bills, there are third-party claims which are difficult to deal with on your own without legal assistance.
Finding the Right Dog Bite Lawyer for Your Case
If a dog bites you and wants compensation for your loss, you must hire a Dog Bite Lawyer for your case. Personal injury lawyers can also deal with these cases. An experienced lawyer who specially handles these cases can be beneficial. They would know the exact problems that might be faced during the trial or negotiations. The success rate of your case may vary based on the amount to which the issue is critical, but having an experienced Dog Bite Lawyer on your case will favor your odds of winning the case.
Why DIY Approaches May Not Be Effective?
DIY approaches may be ineffective in these cases. The insurance companies will try to frame you for violating the terms. You may even be alleged to bring it upon you by purpose to get the compensation. Having an injury, dealing with medical bills, and workplace issues is too much to handle at that point. So, hiring a Dog Bite Lawyer to represent your case and get you justice is best.
Legal Rights for Dog Bite Victims
Dog bite victims have legal rights to claim compensation for their loss. The payment may include medical bills, loss of income, punitive damage for emotional distress, pain, or suffering. The victim needs to prove the liability of the owner to get compensated.
- Strict liability: In some states, dog owners are strictly liable for any injuries caused by their dogs, regardless of whether the dog has a history of biting or the owner knew or should have known that the dog was dangerous.
- Negligence: In other states, dog owners can only be held liable if they were negligent in some way, such as by failing to keep their dog under control or by allowing their dog to be in a dangerous situation.
- Comparative negligence: Some states use a system of comparative negligence, which means that the victim’s damages will be reduced by their own percentage of fault. For example, if the victim is found to be 20% at fault for the bite, their damages will be reduced by 20%.
- Damages: Dog bite victims can recover damages for their medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and emotional distress.
- Legal fees: In some cases, dog bite victims can also recover their legal fees.
You must get the medical help you need if a dog bites you. It would also ensure that the insurance companies do not argue that you neglected your injuries, making them worse. You should keep track of your loss and medical expenses. It is best to hire a Dog Bite Lawyer to represent your case. They will make sure you receive the maximum possible claim for your loss. If you face troubles with compensation or are falsely alleged to have caused the incident, the lawyer will have your back and ensure your rights are protected.